Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Formal Self-Introduction Email


To: Brad Blackstone
From: Yong Hui Ting
Date: 18 January 2017
Subject: Introduction of Myself


Dear Brad, 

My name is Yong Hui Ting and I am currently a second-year undergraduate from Singapore Institute of Technology's (SIT) Hospitality Business. This email will detail my education and professional experience, as well as my thoughts on my strengths and weaknesses in communication.

I remember watching a documentary about Hotel, Burj Al Arab, Dubai on Discovery Channel. I chanced upon the episode when I was about 14 years old. I was fascinated by how the hotel was constructed and the hospitality services that they offered. Due to this, I became interested with the hospitality industry.

Upon completing my O Levels, I went on to pursue Diploma in Hotel & Leisure Facilities Management in Singapore Polytechnic. The course has provided me with many insights and various opportunities in the hospitality industry. 

One of these opportunities was working in Marina Bay Sands. I rotated between Frontline and Operations jobs. When dealing with guests, I do my best in providing the solutions, making their stay enjoyable. Their smiles and appreciations gave me a sense of satisfaction. In addition, I was able to interact with guests from all walks of life. As an outgoing person, I really love the small talks and listening to their experiences. This reaffirms my interest and passion in the industry.

Upon graduation, I was enrolled to Seoul National University, Korean Language Program for a year.  I felt that being able to converse in an additional language would benefit me in this line. My 12 months stay in Korea has given me the chance to be classmates with people from all around the world. This enabled me to learn about the cultural differences and gain a different perspective about our world. 

As I was raised in a Chinese family, English language is my ultimate weakness and fear. However, through my working and overseas experience, I believe that my verbal communications have improved over the years. I am now able to initiate conversations and express my thoughts to a greater degree especially working part-time in a hostel as a front office guest relations officer. 

However, I have much to improve in my written communication. I often find it hard to express myself in writing. I often face situations where I was 'stuck' when given an assignment that required me to write an essay. I am currently cultivating a habit to read one article daily to improve my writing skill. Through this, I hope that I will be more comfortable in my writing ability. 

I hope that this introduction would give you a better understanding of my thoughts on my communication skills. I look forward to this journey with your upcoming classes.

Thank you and have a great day ahead! :)

Warmest Regards,
Yong Hui Ting



6 comments:

  1. Hi Hui Ting! Your outgoing personality is truly suited for this industry. Glad to hear that you are pursuing your interests in life, even going to Korea to learn the language. I am impressed by your mastery of the Korean language, and I believe you will not have any problems improving your English, given your natural aptitude for learning languages. The effort put in to improve your English is very inspirational, and I will use your great advice to improve on mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Russell,

      Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

      Let's do well together and have a great week ahead!

      Cheers,
      Huiting

      Delete
  2. Hey Hui Ting!

    It is really interesting to learn about the hotel documentary capturing your attention and most importantly, developing your interest for this industry! Also, it must have been a really enriching opportunity to pursue your degree in Korea, and to understand their culture.

    I too, was raised in a Chinese-speaking family, and relate to your fear very much! I can't help but to agree that working as a front office guest relations officer helps one to improve their communication skills given that we have to communicate with guests all the time. Your experiences in Korea is definitely an inspiration for others!

    I agree with you that by reading articles on a daily basis would help one to improve their language standards too. Hence, I will not hesitate to follow your footsteps and improve together with you!

    Cheers

    Shufang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shufang,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

      Let's do well together to improve our language.
      Have a great week ahead! :)

      Cheers,
      Huiting

      Delete
  3. Dear Hui Ting,

    Thank you for this well developed, informative letter. You do a great job of doing exactly what your intro paragraph tells the reader you will do.
    You also weave into the prose description a clear account of your various motivations for doing what you have done to date. I thoroughly enjoyed this account, in particular your explanation of how that Discovery Channel programme on the Burj Al Arab had such an impact on you!

    I'm also happy to learn that you are ready and willing to work further on your comm skills. To that end, allow me to suggest the following:

    1. Overuse of caps (we discussed this last week in class)
    — ...to pursue Diploma in Hotel & Leisure Facilities Management in Singapore Polytechnic. >>> ?
    — ...about Hotel, Burj Al Arab, Dubai on Discovery Channel. >>> about the hotel, Burj Al Arab, Dubai, on the Discovery Channel.
    — I rotated between Frontline and Operations jobs. >>> ?
    >>> ?
    see https://wmich.edu/writing/rules/capitalization

    -- Warmest Regards, >>> ?

    2. verb tense
    -- When dealing with guests, I do my best in providing the solutions, making their stay enjoyable.
    >>> (past or present in this context?)
    -- The course has provided me with many insights and various opportunities in the hospitality industry. >>> ?
    -- I often face situations where I was 'stuck' ... >>> ?

    3. phrasing (collocations)
    -- enrolled to >>>
    -- small talks >>> >
    -- I was enrolled to Seoul National University, Korean Language Program... >>> I enrolled in Seoul National University's Korean Language Program...
    -- ...and express my thoughts to a greater degree especially working part-time in a hostel as a front office guest relations officer.
    >>>
    and express my thoughts to a greater degree, especially while working part-time in a hostel as a front office guest relations officer. (hostel?)

    -- that required me >>> ?

    These are minor issues that can be corrected easily.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for taking your time to read the post.

      I really appreciate all the suggestions from you.

      I look forward to learn more to improve my writing skills from your classes.

      Thank you very much once again and have a great week ahead!

      Cheers,
      Hui Ting

      Delete