Friday, February 17, 2017

Reflection on interpersonal communication problem



I recently encountered an interpersonal communication problem during one of my shift at Five Stones Hostel as a guest relation officer. My job scope is pretty similar to a front office agent in any hotel where I would need to check-in and out guest, handle enquiries and even email that comes in daily. Guest are usually backpackers or families and friends that are looking for a cheaper alternative. Comparing the services provided by a hotel, it is definitely different. But, guest generally doesn't expect much from a backpacker hostel. However,  sometimes, we do meet a problematic guest that brought us to some trouble.

The incident happened when I was on night shift with one of my colleagues. A French man, who is not that fluent in English walked into our hostel and ask for a room to stay for the night. As the hostel was running almost full occupancy, our private rooms are all fully booked and there was only a single bed left in the dorm room. I politely explained to him that he would need to share the room with other 9 guests and he just nodded.  He then paid for the bed and I showed him the way up to his room. 

We took the lift and went up to level three. Before reaching his room, he saw the toilets and commented asking why would people throw their towels on the floor. I tried to explain that the towel looking rug was just a floor mat but he stopped me by saying: "Do not try to teach me anything!" I was really taken aback by his words but I continue to do my duties by guiding him to his room. 

When we entered the room, he was shocked and he shouted at me asking me if he was staying with a bunch of uneducated monkeys who place their belongings all over the beds. Honestly, it is really a common sight in a hostel. He then stomped out of the room and demanded a full refund. I led him down to the check-in counter at level one and tried explaining to him that hostels are usually like that due to its smaller room size comparing to a hotel. I also told him that it is not possible to do any refund due to our 48 hours cancellation policy. This time, he banged the table top and shouted at me and my colleagues. My partner got so angry and she just refunded him by throwing back the notes on the table. 

After the incident, I felt a little apologetic about the whole situation.  I am pretty sure he would not never return to stay with us anymore. Perhaps the situation would not have happened if I have explained to him slowly and carefully what exactly a hostel is to lower his expectations. Knowing that he is not really fluent in English, I should have been more careful and patience when I talked to him. This incident was really an eye opener and it has taught me the importance of communication, whether it being verbal or non-verbal, any slight misunderstanding could result in a huge problem.

Were my actions and words appropriate? How should I react when he was rude? Also, how can I avoid such situation in the future? 

(Revised, 3 March 2017)

7 comments:

  1. Wow! What an interesting scenario, Hui Ting!

    This is a really excellent response to the assigned topic. You present a very detailed description of the place, the scenario and the interpersonal issue at hand. You also do a critical debrief. At the same time, you allow space for your readers to offer you advice, and you pose the request as a clear question.

    Now I look forward to feedback from your peers.

    All in all, this is a model post. I hope you don’t mind if I share this. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your kind words.

      I have taken note and will update a revise version.

      Once again, thank you and have a great day ahead! :)

      Cheers,
      Huiting

      Delete
  2. No feedback? I wonder why your blog group members are missing in action? Can you help me understand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Hui Ting,

    Thank you for sharing on your work experience at Five Stones Hostel. I must say that comparing to a hotel, there are so other things that has to be taken in consideration aside to providing a smooth check-in process and clean room. From what you've mentioned, privacy and personal grooming of other hostel guest were key implications into the French Guest first impression of the hostel.

    Since the French guest is a walk in guest, he has no prior knowledge or research done on the hostel scene in Singapore, not to even mentioned your particular property, I thought that it would be critical when dealing with potential hostel guest.

    In my humble opinion, these are the things that you could have done.

    1. Educating in-house Hostel Guest on Tidiness and Cleanliness

    They play a big part in showcasing the tangibles of your hostel. If we succumb to the fact that such hostel scene is "Common in Singapore" or "Common around the world", we are communicating to potential guest that we are not making efforts to improve the competitive image of a hostel.
    Therefore, striking a positive first impression is paramount.

    2. Provide a clear yet concise situation of what's happening operationally.

    Near to full occupancy? how full, how many guest in hostel for the night. What does it really means to be sharing a 10 bedroom dormitory with nine other guest.

    Will be nice before he proceed to making payment, you can offer to show him around the hostel and ask him if he is ok with it and if there is any questions to clarify.

    I do think that by the french guest stomping out of the room and demanding a full refund, it is not within your control but what was within your control is the process on how you deliver the message of 48hours cancellation policy. What your colleague did was wrong by throwing back the notes on the table. I believe both of you should try to calm him down.

    All in all, your reflection is very detailed and I enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to your next post.

    Blessings,

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joshua,

    Thank you for your valuable comments.

    However, i would like to clarify some things.

    Firstly, i did further explained to him that he would be sharing with nine other guest.
    Not only that, due to the privacy of our other guest, we are not allow to show him to rooms.

    Hope you understand.

    Once again, thank you very much for your all your kind words and have a great day ahead! :)

    Cheers,
    Huiting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Hui Ting,

    I empathise with your situation and I fully understand that there is a limit to how much you can do for the guest. I agree that it was partially your fault for not explaining the situation to the French guest but I am sure you had your hands full with the hotel's occupancy that day. In this case, I believe it is more of a difference in expectation and reality of the hostel in Singapore. On the other hand, I feel that the guest is at fault as well for being unreasonable. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to the next one. Great job Huiting!

    Regards,
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joshua,

    Thank you for your valuable comments and kind words.

    Really appreciate it where you take your time to comment.
    Have a great day ahead! :)

    Cheers,
    Huiting

    ReplyDelete